Friday, March 30, 2007

Witnessing Impressive Strategies

At my current internship at a well-known Dallas PR agency, I have had the ability to witness a number of excellent public relations practices unfold. I am continually impressed by the agency’s ability to stay on top of trends, as well as keep up with recent technology that has become a huge player in professional communication. In the past month, I have attended two conferences where I have been given PowerPoint slides that teach me how to pitch to blogs and take advantage of radio media relations. It has been unbelievable to see my company taking an active step toward understanding the complexity of our culture and the channels that best reach audiences.

In one conference, I learned that 93% of all consumers over the age of 12 listen to radio. Additionally, the average consumer spends more than 19 hours/week listening to radio. This is HUGE.

So logically, it makes sense to target radio stations across the country to pitch ideas and products. If picked up, you can imagine the value and positive impact this coverage will have on a particular company. It was especially interesting to talk in class about Podcasts, and then see my agency emphasize their importance. I also learned tips for pitching to radio stations, such as what to be aware of and how to develop partnerships. A girl I work for impressed me as she explained that she maintains relationships with radio personnel by keeping up with their station and frequently emailing to comment or agree on something discussed that day on the station. It was also mentioned that she follows their blogs and will post on their site as another attempt to maintain and grow the relationship. This is an incredibly intelligent and clever PR practice that is often overlooked, as it requires additional time and energy spent outside the office. I find it impressively strategic.

It is good to know that I am gaining experience from an agency with excellent PR practices!

1 comment:

College Bloggers said...

Sounds like a great opportunity for learning on the job. Nice blog.